9.03.2012

Brabson House

Before I moved to the South, I imagined everyone lived in a house like this. I have lived in Tennessee, Alabama, and South Carolina and have never met anyone who lives in a house like this. Most of the antebellum houses that are still standing serve as businesses, or in this case as a church. This is currently the site of the Church of Latter Day Saints. There is a placard in front that states that it served as General Bragg's headquarters in July 1862.
I did a little research and found an old picture of this home. It looked a lot different when it was built in 1858 by Reese Bowen Brabson. The columns were added in the 30's by David Loveman, who owned D.B Loveman's department store in downtown Chattanooga.

3 comments:

Wayfarin' Stranger said...

How about sharing the before photo?

Unknown said...

The South does have a rich history in these antebellum homes.

Meghan said...

I tried to find a "before" picture on the internet to link to, but wasn't successful. I bought the book Chattanooga: Then and Now by Rob Clifton to find out more about the history of this area. That's where I saw the picture from the 1850s. I could scan it and put it up, but that would probably be breaking copyright laws.